Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

Music Of My Life

‘ International Music Performances.’ That is what is written on the brochure. I have never imagined I would be here today. I have never dreamed that my life will be filled with music all these years. He was the one who showed me the beautiful side of music. The one who led me to the world of music. The one who brought the most wonderful thing into my life, that is love.
It was a busy day for me. I had to finish up all my assignments and hand it in today.  Adding to my problem, my best friend in the whole wide world, Minho was busy making noise with his favourite guitar. He was playing something with it and I just could not bother to do nothing. I was really not into this kind of thing. Music would always be last in my life’s list.
“ Hey! Slow down a bit. I have a lot of work to do you know. I know you have a competition coming up, but please go and practice it somewhere else. You know I do not like music very much. “
He stopped playing. His hold his hand up showing that he was begging for an apology.
“ I am sorry my dear. I will stop playing. Do not get mad. You look extremely horrible when you are mad you know. Now, smile!”
Looking at him smiling already making me wanted to smile with him. I gave him the biggest smile in the world. He just laughed at me.
“ I would like to ask you. Why do you dislike music? I was wondering all this time. I had gave my all to music throughout my life, but you, never interested in music.”
His questions startled me. I never imagined he could ask me this. Truthfully, I have never had any strong reason why I do not like music very much.
“ Hmm.. I do not know, really. It just I do not like music.”
“ I see. I know, you just have not seen the beautiful side of music. Come, follow me. I will show you what is music.”
He brought me to the music hall. The university’s orchestra was preparing to start their practice. We quietly took a seat right in the middle of the hall. Then, the music started. The sound of piano, violin, saxophone, cello and all the other instrument combined together to form a beautiful melody. A melody that would moved everybody’s heart. Today, it was mine. It brought me to another world that I have never been.
“ So, how was that? Do you like it?”
“ Yes. That music really calmed my heart. I feel so great right now. Thanks for bringing me here, I love it.”
I gave him a big smile. He suddenly blushed. I wonder why.
“ Minho, could you find me a piano teacher? I was amazed with the sound of the piano just now.”
“ My hearing is still fine, right? I am not mistaken, right? You want to learn the piano?”
“ Yah, do you think I am kidding? This is for real.”
“ Would you like to learn from me?”
“ You can play the piano? I thought you just know how to play the guitar.”
“ Hey, I am a music genius you know. Haha...! So, will you?”
“ I am glad to be your student, Mr. Genius. Haha...!”
Starting from that day, he began teaching me everyday. He patiently taught me from the beginning. He would always sit beside me every time I played the piano. I felt really comfortable being with him during all those time. It felt like every note of the music from the piano created a beautiful world for both of us. I did not know when did I started having this feeling, but I was sure, I have fall in love with him. The kind eyes he had when he look at me, the sweet voice he used to talk to me and most importantly, the love he potrayed when he played music, all those things made me fall in love with him.
One day, he handed me a concert ticket. It was the university’s music competition. The one he always dreamed to participate.
“ You will come, right? I really need you to be there for me, supporting me.”
“ Of course I will come. I will never let my best friend down. Promise me you will try your best. Goodluck!”
“ Best friend?”
“ Yes, best friend. Why?”
“ Nothing. I promise I will win this for you.”
‘ Not best friend. My boyfriend. My most beloved man.’ That thought just wandering in my mind.
The day of the competition finally came. He played the guitar and sang so beautifully. I was totally drowned into his voice and music. At last, he won the competition. I was so proud of him. It seems he noticed me. He quickly smiled at me and showed me his trophy. I gave him a thumb up. He had to perform one more time as he had won.
“ I made this song myself. I would like to dedicate this song to my most beloved girl...”
Suddenly, Minho fall to the onto the stage. Everyone was shocked. I just stood still while his friends tried to help him. I was just so shocked to do anything.
“ He had suffered from brain tumour since 2 years ago. His condition is worsening now. He might not live any longer. I am sorry.”
The doctor’s word was like a lightning the struck directly into my heart. I just could not believe what I heard. He seemed healthy all this time. He just had several head ache lately. I sat beside his bed in the ward. He looked so pale. He slept so soundly as he would never woke up again. I was afraid that he might leave me alone. I fall asleep beside him.
“ Hey, wake up princess. I am the one who sick, but you are the one who is fast asleep.”
His weak voice woke me up.
“ You wake up already? I was really worried you know. And.. Why did you kept secret about your illness from me? I thought I am the most important person to you. So, is this mean I am nothing to you?”
“ No. You are the most important to me. That is why I kept this from you. I do not want you to be worried about me. I could not bear to see you crying for me.”
His hand barely reached my cheeks to wipe away my tears.
“ I have one last wish before I die. I would like to hear you playing the piano. Please, grant my wish, so that I could die peacefully. So that my soul will always live on in heaven with your music.”
“ Please, stop talking rubbish. You will be fine. You will never leave me alone, right? Do not worry, I will always play for you.”
I pushed him to the piano located in the hospital’s lobby. He quietly sat on the wheel chair facing me sitting at the piano. I began playing the piano. I played the Winter Sonata drama’s OST, My Memory, with the hope this would be the most beautiful memory we had. I played till the end.
“ How is my playing? Is it good?”
There was no response from him. I walked to him. His eyes were closed. I was so afraid, afraid that he might leave me. I walked to him closer. I tried to wake him up, but he never woke up since then.
A few days later, I received a parcel. It was a DVD. I quickly watched it using the DVD player. The one I missed so much appear on the television’s screen. The voice I had longed all this time echoed in the room. It was him, Minho.
“ Hi. Hmm.. I may not be in this world anymore when you watch this. I am sorry for everything. I would like to tell you something that I had wanted to say since a long time ago. I just do not have the courage. I... I had fall in love with you, since the first day we met. I love you so much, really. I had a gift for you as a symbol of my love. I had wrote you a song, Music of My Life. I hope you love it. Please live your life happily. Meet a guy who can make you happy. Lastly, do not ever forget music. I will always live in your music.”
I just could not hold my tears as soon I heard the sound of his guitar and his voice. The song was really beautiful.
‘ I love you too. Why did not you tell me earlier, I could have been happier. I could have bring happiness in your last moment of your life. I could never find another guy like you. You are the only one who can make me happy because I love you so much.’
The sound of applause from the audiences woke me up from my dream.
“ Thank you for the great performance. Now, let us welcome up Miss Asifah, the talented pianist to the stage.”
I walk up to the stage.
“ Thank you for inviting me today. It is such a great honour. The song I will be performing today is the most precious song to me. I would like to dedicate this song to my most beloved who is in heaven right now. I hope he could hear me and be happy there. Ladies and gentleman, please enjoy my performance, Music of My Life.”
I play the piano, puuting together mf feelings and heart into it. I could feel his presence beside me while I am playing the piano. His presence gives me strength to live on with music. He is the reason why I still live the world of music. Music had brought us together. I will continue to create beautiful music as long as I live because I know, his soul will continue to live in my music.

1 comment:

  1. aduhhhh....u make me feel also miss asifah....very sad....:)

    ReplyDelete